You've done it all now, you're licensed, found a location, a commissary and are ready to start slinging dogs. You are ready for the first day out with the hot dog cart, then it hits you…
- How many hot dogs do I take with me?
- Which ketchup should I use?
- Is everyone going to know if I mess up?
- Do I use paper boats or foil?
- Napkins, how many napkins do I give them?
- Do I need paper sacks?
- Drinks, what brand, how many?
- My head is spinning now, what do I do?
- Gloves, oh yea, gloves, I almost forgot. But do I wear them on one hand or two?
- How do I take the money with gloves on?
- A thermometer, test strip, oh my, where do I get test strips?
- Should I serve to the left, the right, two lines – now I'm panicking.
- What if I run out of propane? How long does that last?
- What if I drop the tongs?
- What if there is a rush?
- What if no one comes?
- Do I need extra ice? How much ice should I take?
- Do I start at 9:AM or 12:PM?
- What if someone wants the dog steamed and all mine are boiled?
- How long will hot dogs last sitting in the water?
- Do I steam the buns?
- Ok, now I'm just terrified – I'm going to sell this stinking cart and go get a normal job.
- If I make $70 a day, I'm going to have to work all the time to make ends meet?
- How do I get all this stuff to the cart if I can't park close?
- Once the hot dogs are cooked, do I turn off the flame?
- What else do I need to take?
- What if the HD inspector shows up?
- Do I take 100 hot dogs or 300 hot dogs?
- What if I have to go to the bathroom?
- What if they want a receipt, do I need a receipt book?
- How much change should I take?
- What if I run out of change, or hot dogs or something else?
- How much ketchup do I put on, how much mustard?
- What if I put too much ketchup on?
- Are my prices too high, too low?
- What if someone wants extra slaw or chili, do I charge them more?
- Extra water, how much should I take?
- Do I need a menu board and signs?
- Does the list ever end?
- How much water goes in the pans?
Take a deep breath. Exhale. Awwwwwwwww, now doesn't that feel better. It's really not that bad, you see all those hot dog slingers, they all have had to deal with these questions. Fortunately, there are vendors that love to help others and your amongst some of the best in the industry. You don't need to join some private exclusive sales pitchy club or society of some guru to get the help you need.
“Keep it simple, no one will even know if you're doing it wrong.”
We are here to help. I love to watch folks succeed and can't wait for your success story.
Now lets get back to those pesky and worrisome questions. On Tuesday, June 11th at 8:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, Hot Dog Vendor Radio (HDVR) is going to cover all these questions and more. Professional vendors from all over will answer the questions and guide you through it all.
After the show, I'll add the HDVR player here so you can listen.
And here is the player. Just as I figured, we didn't make it through it all but will finish up next week.
Click the banner here to go to the show page and signup to listen in live.
The simple answer: make your self a list, check it twice and go confidently out to sling weenies. All you need are the essentials, eventually you will add other things. Keep the menu simple at first. You don't need to start as a gourmet tube steak chef. This will become second nature to you. You will find a rhythm and be a pro in no time.