Hiring vending employees is a vital strategy to grow your street food vending business.
I need more help!
It’s gotten too big for me to handle!
I need more carts and stuff! What about employees???
I sat down with Jason Brown the other day, after some technical difficulties, to discuss all this stuff.
Skip to 11:40ish to hear our actual conversation, if you don’t wanna listen to me rant, ramble, and rave for almost 12 minutes, lol
- 13:00 How do I run more than one cart?
- Figure out who can be a manager, versus just an employee
- You have to cultivate managers. Train them on everything!
- Setting up, towing the cart
- Show them everything to see if they can handle it
- Then let them work with another employee to see if they can handle it
- Gives you ability to expand, so you’re not tied up running day to day stuff
- 15:30 Pay them well
- Jason, “I never touch the tip jar… always goes to the employees.”
- 16:30 Ben’s hot dog expansion plan
- 22 carts… bad idea… Don’t do that.
- Gave people a share of the profits. They were 1099 subcontractors
- They get a business license….
- 50/50 profit share (after all expenses)
- Kept their tips.
- They made money, I made money. Win, win.
- Alleviated W2s, social security, workman’s comp…
- 20:00 Catering, Jason paid them even more…
- Commissions, plus pay, plus tips
- Slow to hire, quick to fire
- Culinary degrees don’t guarantee they can cook, or that they’ll be great street food employees.
- Take care of your employees!
- 22:30 How to find employees for events?
- Facebook ads…
- Jason avoids friends and family
- Check with your local college (Dean of Students) job board
- Retired people are awesome!
- Make sure employees know your food
- Culinary schools, interns, get credit for school and get paid…
- 24:00 Ben burns his biscuits! Don’t do that…
- 25:15 How to do 1099 in food vending?
- Have to start their own business
- Can be sole proprietor. They don’t have to set up an LLC.
- 25:45 But business license too expensive!
- Food business is cheapest to get into
- Don’t jump over dollars to pick up dimes!
- 27:14 If you don’t have the money to start, check out learnhotdogs.com/broke, or cottage food!
- 29:20 Health insurance for vendors?
- Jason has a great idea
- Make more money, then you can afford it. Factor it in to your cost of doing business.
- Small Business Association has a program
- Make sure it has major medical: the most important part.
- AFLAC has worked for Jason in the past.
- Jason has a great idea
- 34:48 Start from home, kitchenincome.com with little to no money
- 36:50 How about hiring from a Temp service?
- Jason says not really
- Maybe for general labor
- 38:30 Ben gives some examples of 1099 employees
- You’re the general contractor
- 39:30 What program to use to keep your business finances organized?
- QuickBooks integrates with Square
- 41:15 Pulled Pork sliders, multiplying your profit
- 46:00 Buy new equipment. It’s a tax write off.
- 47:00 Advice for your first day!
- Check out this link, Learnhotdogs.com/40
- Your customers aren’t experts. However you do it, you’re the pro. Own it.
- It’s not an emergency room. No life and death.
- Mistakes are okay. Make a joke out of it.
- Enjoy yourself: be friendly.
- Take extra shirt/apron, and clean backup tongs in case you drop them in the dirt.
- 50:40 What if an event wants a percentage?
- Depends, but Jason doesn’t go over 10% of net.
- 52:55 Launching your first cart.
- Make sure you know how to run it, before you try to train an employee.
- Once you know how to run it, then teach them everything you know.
- 56:00 Get your social media going before you start.
- Actual content, not just “We’re gonna be here…” Be consistent with it.
- 57:00 What about the sink requirement?
- Check out this resource: learnhotdogs.com/Sink
- 59:30 Keep records: weather, events, days of the week
- 102:30 Would a hot dog cart work in Ireland?
- Yes! We have vendors in Ireland, and in buttloads of countries around the world!
- 104:45 How to price your dogs (and any product)
- Know your costs
- Know your market
- 107:00 Ben needs to go make fresh, non-burned biscuits…
Love ya! Keep on vending!
Now watch the video!
FREE HELP VIDEOS! »» CLICK For Free TEXT Notifications
DONE FOR YOU!! - I'm excited about it after years of folks requesting it. It's 100% free for you. I go live on YouTube a lot. And some want to be notified moments before I do. If you do... then get on the list here...[Ben's going LIVE list]
MY COURSE BOOK - Everything you need to know about getting started, my journey, my secrets...all the goodies that changed my life, and how it was done -[CLICK HERE]
HOW TO GET THE BEST LOCATION FOR YOUR CART! - How To Get Any Location You Want - The "Most Wanted Secret" Any Vendor Wants To Know! -[CLICK HERE]
FREE BOTTLED WATER HACK! - Apply a couple little tricks, get free water, sell it for whatever you want and keep all the money! -[CLICK HERE]
HOW TO GRILL, STEAM & BOIL LIKE A PRO! - Get "STEAM, BOIL & GRILL" Now and learn Live from a Pro! -[CLICK HERE]
BUILD YOUR OWN CART - From home, saving a bunch of money. Easy way to get started - [CLICK HERE]
HOW TO START ON A BUDGET - Start your own street food business with a small investment - [CLICK HERE]
ALREADY VENDING AND WANTING TO GROW? - I have created a training wizard that can help you concur any part of the business you want. No matter the state you're in...no matter if you're brand new or have already gotten started - [CLICK HERE]