How to Start Your Street Food Business
Hi, folks! Last night I did an introduction to help people get a street food business started. If you're having trouble figuring out where to start, watch this video. It's free, and I list the things you need to accomplish to get your business running quickly. Many of these tasks can be completed online, quickly and easily. Some of them may take more time, depending on your local rules.
Street Food Business Startup Steps Include:
- Call your local Health Department and get the basic information on what you're allowed to sell from an open food cart. This informs your next decisions about what type of equipment you will need.
- Choose a cart and send in the schematics for approval.
- Decide on your menu. Tip: hot dogs are legal in all 50 states.
- Do a taste test with friends and family. Check local stores to see what brand of hot dogs is most popular in your area.
- Decide on a business name. (Doing Business As…)
- Apply for a federal EIN (how to do this for FREE).
There is more covered in the video, so watch it if you want all of the steps. I also answered some audience questions about how you pay yourself. That's an important part of running your own business!!
Send in Your Street Food Business Questions
As always, I invite your questions, comments, and stories. Nothing makes me happier than hearing about a street food vendor who is doing well in the business, and sharing that story with others. It helps us all!
Check in at I Love Street Food Vending on Facebook.