The health inspector says I gotta have a commissary kitchen!
“Oh my God, Ben! I don’t even know what that is!”
Take a deep breath my friend. I get this question all the time. In fact it’s one of my top 10 questions of all time.
You can find a more in depth explanation at that link, but the short answer is that “commissary kitchen” it’s just a fancy name for a ‘commercial kitchen.’
A commercial kitchen is a place required by health departments where you can safely store and prepare food for retail consumption. That means food sold to the public.
“Are commissary kitchens required everywhere?”
In most states, yes, but it depends on what you’re serving. Some foos do not require it, like Cottage Foods. But if you’re serving hot dogs and most hot foods, you need a commissary.
How and Where Do I You Find One?
There are at least three ways to deal with this requirement:
- The FREE option (my favorite).
- You can rent them. Search Google in your area for them, or for “incubator kitchens.” Another term you see sometimes.
- You could build your own commissary!
- I built a commissary kitchen behind my house in a prefab storage building. Your state will have its own requirements. Check with your health department. I had to have the following in my state:
- Floor drain
- 3 bay sink (wash, rinse, sanitize)
- Handwashing sink (in many states)
- Mop sink (in some states, like Tennessee)
- Look out for requirements for ‘commercial equipment.’ (4:45) There is no standard for ‘commercial’. It’s up to the manufacturer. Some inspectors will demand your equipment be certified as ‘commercial.’ If so, ask them, politely, to direct you to the code for that. (They can’t.)
Can a Food Truck be My Commissary? (6:45)
Not usually, because most states require you to store your food in a separate place than your truck, even if it has refrigeration.
In some places they may allow it.
Take a deep breath and just find a Commissary! (8:20)
“But, but, but it’s hard…”
Yeah, it’s a pain in the butt, but it’s just one hurdle to jump. It’s a one and done deal. Just suck up the courage and make the calls you need to make.
Once you’re through it, you’ll think, “That really wasn’t all that tough!”
Watch the video now!
FREE HELP VIDEOS! »» CLICK For Free TEXT Notifications
DONE FOR YOU!! - I'm excited about it after years of folks requesting it. It's 100% free for you. I go live on YouTube a lot. And some want to be notified moments before I do. If you do... then get on the list here...[Ben's going LIVE list]
MY COURSE BOOK - Everything you need to know about getting started, my journey, my secrets...all the goodies that changed my life, and how it was done -[CLICK HERE]
HOW TO GET THE BEST LOCATION FOR YOUR CART! - How To Get Any Location You Want - The "Most Wanted Secret" Any Vendor Wants To Know! -[CLICK HERE]
FREE BOTTLED WATER HACK! - Apply a couple little tricks, get free water, sell it for whatever you want and keep all the money! -[CLICK HERE]
HOW TO GRILL, STEAM & BOIL LIKE A PRO! - Get "STEAM, BOIL & GRILL" Now and learn Live from a Pro! -[CLICK HERE]
BUILD YOUR OWN CART - From home, saving a bunch of money. Easy way to get started - [CLICK HERE]
HOW TO START ON A BUDGET - Start your own street food business with a small investment - [CLICK HERE]
ALREADY VENDING AND WANTING TO GROW? - I have created a training wizard that can help you concur any part of the business you want. No matter the state you're in...no matter if you're brand new or have already gotten started - [CLICK HERE]