Vendor inquiries ranged across several topics, but pricing and promoting hot dogs and street food come up more than once.
Jason Brown and I sat down to answer some street food vendor questions.
This Street Food Vendor Q&A will be helpful for you, in particular if you’re just starting out, or thinking about getting into the business.
What’s in This Pricing And Promoting Video?
- Where would Ben start now, if he was starting all over again? Lemonade
- How do I get started with vending in Philly?
- Maybe talk to Jason?
- Or go to learnhotdogs.com and click on the article at the top of the page, “How to Start a Hot Dog Business.”
- (5:15) Can you build a food truck in a pop up trailer? Yep. /Check out these amazing coffee trailers!
- (6:15) Mobile, Alabama is hard to start food vending? Yeah, but if you get through the red tape, you’ll be golden
- (7:29) What’s the average price for a chili dog?
- Don’t be lowest… too much competition at the bottom
- Good product for a good price
- (8:50) How to NAME your business. Don’t pigeonhole your business like we did…
- (10:00) Should I join Hot Dog University?
- Join Vendors United instead. You’ll get more bang for the buck. It’s like a dozen food vending universities in one… And you can sign up for free full accesss for 5 days…
- (14:00) How can you promote your business?
- Business Facebook page
- Golidlocks.com has all the holidays listed if you need ideas for posts
- Collect phone and email from customers!
- Post new stuff all the time, not just where you’re gonna be…
- Use great pictures! Not just your logo. No one cares about your logo.
- (16:20) Post on local FB groups… just a picture of your food and where you’re gonna be…
- Be creative! Don’t just share your business logo.
- “I had a flat tire yesterday, but luckilly I got’er fixed because we’re gonna be down at Joe’s Hair Salon tomorrow!”
- (18:30) What do you do if you have more business than you can handle? Jason is gonna tell ya.
- Hone in on your menu and target audience
- Make sure you have good people. Train a manager!
- Lots of good advice on this in Vendors United
- (21:00) Insurance? We recommend you get it through Flip, It’s cheap and great, and even cheaper if you’re in VU!
- If you’re at a new site and need a quick ‘additional insured’ certificate, you can do it instantly on their app!
- (22:00) A great vendor success story from Greenbay, WI!
- (24:25) Should you do different lemonade flavors?
- (30:45) Do you need a license plate for your cart? Depends on your state
- (31:30) If I’m starting without a cart, what can I expect from initial inspection?
- Depends on your state, but I give you some general advice. Make sure to check out this page.
- (33:50) A popcorn Cottage Food success story!
- (34:15) How many toppings should you offer when you start?
- (36:20) Napkins or papertowls?
- Jason says, ‘beverage naps!’
- (37:15) Can you offer pulled pork as a condiment in North Carolina?
- (39:20) Can you 1099 an employee? How to set them up as subcontractors!
- (41:00) What can you vend in Tennessee without a license?
- (41:40) Can you vend from a hot dog cart in a wheelchair?
- Some do, but difficult because of the height of the cart
- There are ways to do it!
- (44:00) How much should you charge for a hot dog?
- Join Vendors United!
- Book a private consult with Jason Brown! It will explode your business!
Watch the video!
There outta be enough in there to get you off to a whoppin’ start!
Good luck! I love ya!
And if you want to take your vending business to the next level, go and get together with the best vendors on the planet HERE (it is 100% free to try it out for 5 days!!)…
IMPORTAT: Let's help more vendors and colleagues with these tips and solutions. Please share this article, we must help our community. Click below to share…